Thursday 5 November 2009

My Father and his Brother Walking Down O'Connell St in the 1950s



This is my Father Patrick and one of his brothers Mick. It was Mick that was somewhat responsible for me playing the box. He was a member of the Garda ( police ) at Stores St. Garda station and had purchased a Hohner Double-Ray accordion to help pass the time at the barracks. He then decided that 92 Errigal would be a more friendly venue where he could store (hide) the box under the sofa and would play it when he came to visit on weekends.During the week I had a free hand as I taught myself to play , starting with one finger, being very careful to put it back exactly as I had found it. This picture of them was taken as they walked past Cleary's department store on O'Connell St. during the late 50's.

No comments:

Post a Comment