Wednesday 4 November 2009

The Keanes of Errigal Road



This is a family photo of my Father Patrick, my Mother, Mary "Molly" and Seán, my Brother. That's me on my Mother's knee. Both my parents were fine fiddle players and their hearts and souls were in the music. My Father was from a place called Lavalla, Ballynacally, Co. Clare. He grew up in a house full of music and his sister "Baby" had great style on the concertina. My Mother was from Curroole, Newtowncashel, Co. Longford. Her maiden name was Hanly and two of her brothers Peter and James were great musicians. My Father came to Dublin in his late teens and got a job working shift-work for Clondalkin Paper Mills; and as a young woman my Mother worked for The Ormond Hotel on Ormond Quay Dublin. They instilled in us their love and respect for the music and my memories are as bright today , as if it were only yesterday, of the hundreds of great sessions with all those legends of the music that came to visit the Keanes at 92 Errigal Road, Drimnagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment